Welcome to Medusa, the open source Shopify alternative!
Medusa is an open-source headless commerce engine that enables developers to create amazing digital commerce experiences.
Get started with Medusa in a few minutes with our Quickstart guide!
Medusa comes with a set of building blocks that allow you to create unique digital commerce experiences, below is a list of some of the features that Medusa comes with out of the box:
- Headless: Medusa is a highly customizable commerce API which means that you may use any presentation layer such as a website, app, chatbots, etc.
- Regions allow you to specify currencies, payment providers, shipping providers, tax rates, and more for one or more countries for truly international sales.
- Orders come with all the functionality necessary to perform powerful customer service operations with ease.
- Carts allow customers to collect products for purchase, add shipping details, and complete payments.
- Products come with relevant fields for customs, stock keeping, and sales. Medusa supports multiple options and unlimited variants.
- Swaps allow customers to exchange products after purchase (e.g. for incorrect sizes). Accounting, payment, and fulfillment plugins handle all the tedious work for you for automated customer service.
- Claims can be created if customers experience problems with one of their products. Plugins make sure to automate sending out replacements, handling refunds, and collecting valuable data for analysis.
- Returns allow customers to send back products and can be configured to function in 100% automated flow-through accounting and payment plugins.
- Fulfillment API makes it easy to integrate with any fulfillment provider by creating fulfillment plugins.
- Payments API makes it easy to integrate with any payment provider by creating payment plugins, we already support Stripe, Paypal, and Klarna.
- Notification API allows integrations with email providers, chatbots, Slack channels, etc.
- Customer Login gives customers a way of managing their data, viewing their orders, and saving payment details.
- Shipping Options & Profiles enable powerful rules for free shipping limits, multiple fulfillment methods, and more.
- Medusa's Plugin Architecture makes it intuitive and easy to manage your integrations, switch providers and grow with ease.
- Customization is supported for those special use cases that all the other e-commerce platforms can't accommodate.
Where to Get Started
The Medusa Server
You can follow our quickstart guide to install and run a Medusa server.
The Medusa Admin
The Medusa Admin provides you with a lot of functionalities and configurations such as Product Management, Order Management, Discounts and Promotions, and more.
You can install the Medusa admin in 2 steps by following our Medusa Admin quickstart guide.
The final step is to set up a storefront to sell your products.
Alternatively, you can build your own storefront with any frontend framework of your choice just by connecting to your server with the Storefront REST APIs.
What’s Next 🚀
- Customize your Medusa server by creating your own endpoints, services, and subscribers.
- Check out guides under the Integrations section to install plugins for CMS, Payment, Search Engines, and more.
- Deploy your Medusa server in seconds on Heroku, Qovery, or Digital Ocean.
Open Source Contribution
As Medusa is an open source platform, contributions to improve it and its documentation are welcome. In the GitHub repository here’s where you’ll find the different components you can contribute to:
- The core of the Medusa server resides in
- You can also find all existing plugins under the
- The documentation content resides in
docs/content. The code for the documentation website is in
You can find more details about contributing in CONTRIBUTING.md.
Community & Support
If you need any support during your development with Medusa, you can join our Discord Server. You will get help directly from our core team as well as our community.
By joining our Discord Server, you’ll also have the chance to participate in many events such as Bug Hunts and showcase your work with Medusa.